Monday, April 4, 2011

The Big News!

My goodness it's seems like forever since I've blogged...but here I am and I can now tell all of you my BIG news I've been so excited about!

Last month I got a direct message on twitter from Elsie from A Beautiful Mess telling me that Red Velvet wanted to have me participate in one of their Makeover Stories this Spring...as you can imagine I was over the moon excited and a little nervous about having photos taken and posted of not only my face, but my whole body and in a dress no less! She had me send her an email with my dress and shoe size as well as some inspiration photos, she was wanting to keep the makeover set in the 50's/60's era, which was perfect because that's the style of dresses I've been buying and looking at on Etsy lately. If you read Elsie's blog you know how crazy the past few weeks had been so it took awhile for her to get back to me with all of the details and then I got the email I'd been waiting for...so last Wednesday my friend and I took a 122 mile road trip down to Springfield to shoot my very own Makeover Story!

It was such an amazing experience, and pretty surreal as well! Elsie and Emma were such sweethearts and I even got to meet Elsie's future Mister Jeremy (super nice as well)! We started off searching for a couple of dresses to not only fit, but stayed in the 50-60s theme of things...I was overwhelmed by the sea of dresses filling this beautiful shop, so thank goodness Elsie and my friend Mary were there to help pick some out for me to try!






Photos I took at the shop!


After finding the perfect dresses, hair and makeup, we went around town to take some photos...here are a couple of my favorites...


This blue dress is my favorite!!!

After the photo shoot Elsie, my friend Mary and I sat down to finish my interview and talk about my makeover and eat a yummy cupcake made by Emma...Elsie then gave me a challenge, she challenged me to at least once a week get dressed up in my vintage clothes and do my own photo shoot and post them on my blog...she said not only will it give me a reason to wear all of the clothing I have hanging in my closet, but it will also help give me that little boost of confidence I need so much! Well, I accepted her challenge and I guess you guys will be seeing a lot more of me around here...eep!

Elsie said after reading this comment on one of her past Makeover Stories, she new I would be perfect...that a lot of women would relate to my story...

"WOW! She is gorgeous! I would love to rock vintage dresses, but when i look in the mirror i don't see a girl that looks good in really anything! one of my "goals" is to wear more dresses this Spring/Summer, to embrace my femininity and don't worry what other people think...but I am having some trouble with that! i am not a size 6, heck i am not even a size 12...but i so want to be comfortable in my own skin. i always tell my husband (who thinks i am beautiful no matter what) that i would love to go on one of those makeover shows were they teach you how to dress for your body type, do you hair in a way that you wouldn't have ever thought and when you look in the mirror...you see what everyone else has seen for years, they just helped you find it!"

Thank you so much Elsie for an amazing and memorable experience...it meant the world to me!

You can read my story and see the rest of the photos HERE on Elsie's blog...please be kind in the comments...this was a huge step for me, I'm not used to being the one in front of the lens! (O;


Have a lovely day!

xoxo~Meg












37 comments:

  1. Meg, you look BEAUTIFUL!

    My favorite is that first dress! I'm loving the look of floral dresses.

    I can relate so much to your original comment, so this post & the one on Elsie's blog nearly have me in tears. It's so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so great Meg!!!! I love your makeover :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just linked over to your blog from Elsie's. I wanted to leave my support and best wishes in your vintage challenge. ^_^ Your Red Velvet photo shoot was absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! I love the blue dress too. Have fun playing 'dress-up' once a week, and post your pics! I'll be checking back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just have to say you look AMAZING in those dresses! they show off your personality and style way more than your before pictures. i hope you continue to dress the way you want because it makes you look 10x even more beautiful, and not worry about what people say in a small town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey there! just got here from Elsie's. This was, by far, my favourite styling story. You look absolutely gorgeous and confident in your new looks!
    Keep it going girl, your ARE beautiful :)
    lots of love from argentina!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. i got here through A Beautiful Mess... just wanted to say you look beautiful! I really love the green dress on you :)

    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  8. hiiiii meg!!!!! LOVED seeing you on Elsie's blog today ♥ you are darling ~ so, so proud of you for stepping out and doing something like this. yay!

    you are too cute in dresses. be sure to wear one each week, mmmmk?! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Meg! I came from Elsie's blog as well. I am so inspired by your makeover story! I am a curvy gal too, and I often feel too worried about what other people will think or say if I go out in vintage clothing. I am going to try the same vintage challenge - we can do this! :) Best of luck, and thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw you on Elsie's blog and had to come over to tell you, you look gorgeous! The dresses suit you perfectly and I hope you start wearing them without thought to what others think, because you look great in them. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look so great! I feel the same way - I would never feel comfortable wearing cute little dresses every day. But I love them! Can't wait to see your future vintage posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Meg! I just came over from Elise's blog. I will comment here what I said over tehre, you look STUNNING! And I do hope you'll share more of your challenge outfits. I just added you to my bloglovin' feed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the post about your makeover over at Elsie's blog and I just wanted to tell you that you look fabulous! Good luck with the vintage challenge! I can't wait to see the outfits you put together! :)
    XO
    Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  14. just read your makeover story on red velvet! you look BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your makeover is absolutely amazing pretty lady...i love the challenge as well and can't wait to see all the pretty outfits you put together throughout the week! rock it girl...you are fabulous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meg, your feature is absolutely amazing! You look so beautiful! Wondeful - I love it! Congrats on being able to have this awesome opportunity! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was so happy to see you were the latest makeover story! You are so beautiful & I'm glad Elsie was able to help you feel more confident in yourself!

    I love the vintage dresses on you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi there. i just came over from 'a beautiful mess' and after seeing your photos and reading your story, i just had to come over and say hello! i really loved the photos that were taken of you, you look absolutely gorgeous and i hope that you take her challenge and post photos!! i can't wait to see what you'll do yourself. it's all about taking chances girl. i know sometimes it's hard and you wonder what other people will think about you or what you're wearing that day but honestly, life is too short to worry about what other people think!! it takes some time to gain that confidence but it'll happen for you, especially if you keeping testing your limits. after perusing your blog, i see that you've purchased some cute vintage numbers and i can't wait to see how you style them.

    you're awesome and don't you forget it!

    ps: i'm now a new follower!! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. be kind? that's the easy part! You look like a doll! the makeover just polishes up the pretty gal so you shine brighter! you're gorgeous! (for what it's worth from a complete stranger that just found your blog today) :)

    I'm planning a roadie to RV this spring/summer too... soo exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really great photos! I love the one of you smiling on the other blog. You look so great and those clothes are amazing! You should feel so proud of yourself for the weight you've lost and for being brave enough to accept this challenge. Go Meg! Yay! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi meg, you look effervescent!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Meg you look fantastic and those dresses are gorgeous so glad you had a wonderful day can't wait to see more of your vintage outfits xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so so inspired! I saw your post via A Beautiful Mess and just had to check out your blog. I am a mother of two boys and can totally relate to wanting to change my style a bit, but being a little afraid. :) You look amazing and gorgeous and I absolutely love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Meg, I just saw your feature on Red Velvet and was SO EXCITED!! You look absolutely gorgeous - I love both looks. That must have been an amazing experience! I can't wait to see your vintage outfits!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look beautiful. I say wear your vintage clothes every single day. You were made to wear them.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look gorgeous and I'm so happy that you're now making your dreams/goals come true! I love both the outfits and I can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are gorgeous on Elsie's blog!! Beautiful makeover, sometimes all you need is a bit of confidence! I wish I had those girls to make me over too!!!! I think you are just so sweet and am happy Elsie shared you with all of us! Newest follower, xoxo :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Meg!! That is so exciting!! I love the dresses!! The photos of you are simply beautiful!! You are such an amazing person!!
    I am so glad you had this opportunity!
    You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just saw your pics over on Beautiful Mess. You look amazing! You can definitely pull the vintage look off. Any day!

    Keep on rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You look so adorable! You're amazing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look beautiful! So glad you took the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  32. After having babies it is easy to get that "this is easiest to wear" syndrome. Fight it...you look adorable in the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  33. it is so funny that i just stumbled upon your blog, because i just read the feature about you on A Beautiful Mess! You honestly look SO gorgeous in the new vintage clothing!!! keep dressing thrifty because it completely works for you :)


    <3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  34. That looks fun!

    Emily
    http://www.texasnj.dayeightmedia.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I know what you mean and I'm happy you beat your fear, because you look DIVINE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Meg, I loved the Beautiful Mess fashion shoot article. How fun! I too am from a small town (in the midwest) and I know how it feels to try to venture apart from the crowd to dress with a little more style. It can feel like everyone is looking at you and thinking "who is she trying to be?" I now live in a city on the East Coast where I feel much more comfortable expressing myself through what I wear but when I go back home, I do tend to tone it down a little, although not all the way. As a kid, I recall seeing some women around my hometown that had their own personal style, and I liked it and they are the people that I remember. You can start with some small changes, like maybe start by adding some kicky accessories to your normal wardrobe. Eventually, you get braver and work your way into your dream wardrobe on a daily basis. I'm excited to see some future posts on your style progress!

    ReplyDelete
  37. i know i already told you this on twitter, but you are GORGEOUS and this is amazing!! ROCK IT, HOT STUFF!! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments, they make my day! Thank you so much for visiting my little bubble, come back soon!
xoxo~Meg